On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Jean-Philippe Dutreve wrote:

>> its actually not eager loading the second list of "accounts"
> If there is no eager loading on the second list, I don't understand
> why a 'SELECT entries ...' is executed when I just
> ask ....account.name and not ....account.entries.

i think its because that query has assigned an "eager load
account.entries" option into the lazy loader for Entry.  Entry lazy
loads its Account which then eager loads its entries.

>> untested, i.e. join_depth on a mapper thats not self-referential, im
>> surprised thats actually doing something.
> Sign of good design?

probably not...what we're really looking for here is for eager
loaders to be configurable directly from a "path", like "x.y.z".   it
should be able to look at that and map it to exactly where it is.
0.4 has this "path" concept built in now but i havent taken it all
the way, so that a path sent to eagerload_all() is exactly where the
eager loading happens.  join_depth shouldnt be needed.