Michael,

Thank you for replying. I think just making few exception classes
available would be enough to make some progress. May be some backends
would use them without involving too much work and magic. At least
people would know there is better way. Even if it would be just
psycopg2 for beginning it is still something more useful than what we
have now.

I'd say key violation, null value, transaction timeout, connection
failure/timeout are pretty common to be part of SA API.