I have a postgres db that has content currently encoded as latin1.
When I try to query from the db I get the following error:
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa9 in position
0: ordinal not in range(128)

in my create_engine call I have encoding=latin parameter set. What am
I missing?

I know that when I have worked with psycopg2 directly before i have
been able to use the set_client_encoding('latin1') and that has worked
fine.

thanks,
Matt