It's an Apache 2 with mod_wsgi. The server setup isn't configured for
performance yet, and we can probably tune it a bit. But even when I
test with the wsgi-ref server (without parallel requests) the
application is slow. Beside sqlalchemy and memcached, we are using
django (there are still some dependencies left, since it started as a
django-app, but we are working on that *g*), werkzeug (a wsgi toolkit)
and jinja (template engine).

The bulletin board is currently the only component which is using
(native, not the django hacks) sqlalchemy and it is also the slowest.
So it can't be our general configuration, but the board is surely the
most database model intensive part (our other components, a portal, a
wiki, a blog and a planet can be cached more easily, even with django
orm).

And in general, I am very happy with the profile log, because there
aren't any time consuming parts anymore, but the getattr calls and
sqlalchmey orm accesses are so many, that they count however... so I
don't know where I can continue optimizing, but about 1 request / sec
is simply too slow.

Christoph