Narrowing it down, I guess what I'm really confused about is why, given
two booking objects, in complete and ok to save and one not, I can't do

session.save_or_update( complete_booking )
session.flush( complete_booking )

( keeping booking incomplete around until later )

On the other hand I seem to be able to do:

session.save_or_update( complete_booking )
session.flush() # generates exception about incomplete booking

- the complete booking goes into the table ok, the incomplete one not,
but I don't like the idea of just ignoring exceptions when I don't fully
understand what's going on.

Thanks!
Iain