On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:33:10 +0200
"Werner F. Bruhin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Please check Kyle's answer to your first post.

Perhaps Google Groups is having mail delivery issues (again), so I'll
just repeat/clarify :)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
victoria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> # Data_base user_name
> #db_user = "root"
> db_user = "postgres"
> # Data_base password
> db_password= ""

Yep, this bit is the problem. It's trying to login as the database
super-user. By default PG does not permit this except if your POSIX
username happens to be "postgres". When it isn't, PG says this:

> Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

If you try logging in as postgres from the command line using psql, you
will see the same error. For example, on one of my servers:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ psql traffic postgres
  psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo -u postgres psql traffic
  Password:
  Welcome to psql 8.1.11, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

         \h for help with SQL commands
         \? for help with psql commands
         \q to quit

  traffic=#

To fix it, you need to make an ordinary user with a password, allow it
to access your database, and be sure PG configured to allow it to login
using password authentication. Fedora's PostgreSQL setup tutorial has
instructions on doing these things.

-Kyle