On Dec 10, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Rick Morrison wrote:

> Something like this:
>
> As of 0.5 for pyodbc connections:
>
> a) If the keyword argument 'odbc_connect' is given, it is assumed to
> be a full ODBC connection string, which is used for the connection
> (perhaps we can include a facility for Python sting interpolation
> into this string from the dburi components).

so you mean create_engine('mssql://?
odbc_connect
=
DRIVER
=
{SQLServer
};SERVER=server;DATABASE=database;UID=user;PWD=password') ?    I can't
go with that, there has to be some way to plug in a URL handler.    if
you really need to send that raw string straight through you can use
the creator() function.     Its really not a big deal to maintain if
we just make a modular URLHandler class that given a sqlalchemy.URL
and a DBAPI, returns a connection.   Anytime someone has some new
goofy string they need, they can provide one of these, we add it to
the MSSQL dialect, and we wont have to change it again, since it will
be keyed to a name.