On Feb 13, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Michael Bayer wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2009, at 4:07 AM, koranthala wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>   I am working on a Python application which does approximately 1000
>> updates  at a time every 3 seconds in a Sqlite File Database using
>> SqlAlchemy. On timing it in a 2GHz machine, I found that it is taking
>> ~1.01 seconds to do the same.
>>   Is it possible to increase the speed of the same? My application
>> is quite a complex one, and taking 1 second for the updates is
>> slowing
>> the overall performance considerably.
>>   I checked Sqlite page - and they mention that 25000 text UPDATEs
>> with an index (which is what I am doing) takes 2.4 seconds (this is
>> Sqlite2 data - sqlite3 should be faster). I guess should mean that
>> 1000 text UPDATEs should take 0.1 seconds.
>>
>> The inserts I do is as follows:
>> BEGIN:
>> 2009-02-13 14:34:40,703 INFO sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x..10
>> UPDATE data SET status=? WHERE data."index" = ?
>> 2009-02-13 14:34:40,703 INFO sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x..10
>> ['True', 68762]

>> (1000)
>>
>> COMMIT

oh sorry, you said "inserts" but your SQL says "UPDATE".    for a
single UPDATE statement of any style the Query has an update() method
- read the docstrings for it carefully.   For issuing 1000's distinct
UPDATE statements each with different parameters very quickly, the
same advice as before applies - use connection.execute(table.update(),
[<dictionaries of parameters>]).