On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:00 PM, iain duncan wrote:

> Hi Mike, I tried out the merging, but am hitting the snag that objects
> referred to in relations are now going into the db twice. Ie
>
> class MySeedData(SeedData):
>  van = Region(name="Vancouver")
>  event_1 = Event(name="Event 1", region=van)
>
> is putting the Region in twice.

OK, in that case the Region object you create would need to have a
primary key already expressed before you put it in, otherwise SQLA
thinks its a new Region being merged.   so maybe merge is cumbersome
here.

> I also tried out the instance clearing tip. I'm on sa 0.4.8, but there
> is no orm.attributes.instance_key.

the method in 0.5 is "instance_state".  in 0.4.8, I think you can just
say del myobject._instance_key and it will become an INSERT again.
keep in mind the object will insert itself with the same primary key
as it was originally assigned with the first insert.