On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:45:44 -0400 (EDT)
"Michael Bayer" <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> clearly you have to figure out what runs on your server or what cache
> clears itself on tuesdays, and also we'd need to see the actual error
> message in your stacktrace.   the trace is probably a distant side
> effect of something else happening (passing a None or something).

The way I read this...

> Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> >
> > It starts with the code below, and the last two lines "in
> > visit_select" and "in process" repeat indefinitely until the
> > recursion error is generated

...is that these two stack frames are repeated until a stack overflow
occurs, that is to say, process() and visit_select() form an infinite
mutual recursion:

> > File '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.4.8-py2.5.egg/
> > sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py', line 189 in process
> >   return meth(obj, **kwargs)
> > File '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.4.8-py2.5.egg/
> > sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py', line 528 in visit_select
> >   t = self.process(select._whereclause)

in which case the error would be "RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth
exceeded".

My wild guess would be there is a reference cycle being introduced into
an SA expression language structure that is causing the compiler's
visitor code to chase its tail. I don't know if the compiler does cycle
detection, if so perhaps this is a corner case that is getting past it.

In addition to needing to see the query that's causing this, the top of
the stack trace seems to be missing also, Johnathan. I don't see any
stack frames from your app code.

-Kyle