I personally use pymssql with the 0.4 series, I don't know if it's broken in
0.5x or not. It's not a panacea by any stretch: pymssql has a somewhat long
list of caveats (30 char identifier limit, no unicode, no varchar(>255),
etc.) - see the wiki for some of the details. The issue with the quoted
parameters is news to me - while I primarily use the SQLA orm and sql-api
layers, we do have a handful of text-based SQL with quoted
string-interpolated parameters and also with quoted-string constants that
all seem to work fine.

Rick