PyODBC accepts unicode strings (and by that I mean Python unicode,
u'some string') directly on most platforms.  No "N" character is
needed (unless PyODBC or the odbc driver does this behind the
scenes).   Our MSSQL dialect does detect certain builds where this is
not possible and instead encodes to utf-8 or whatever encoding is
configured on the engine before passing in unicode strings.