For performance reasons, I'd like eagerloading to do inner joins where
possible.  I found ticket 1544 http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/1544
addresses exactly this concern, and I've patched the option for
innerjoin=True.

This works, thank you.

I wanted to point out, however, that the orm relation *should* be able
to detect scenarios where it is safe to do inner join by default
instead of this being a manually set flag.

If the join relation foreign key exists on a column that is
nullable=False, then (double check my logic, but..) isn't it
guaranteed that an inner join is safe?

If agreed, this would be a nice enhancement.