Yup, no transactions (legacy, can't switch anytime soon) which is why
I didn't originally write any rollback framing... but I was still
getting the following error after MySQL raised a 2006 (until app
restart), and a quick peek at _handle_dbapi_exception seemed to
suggest that I needed to issue rollbacks even for non-transactional
database engines.

    InvalidRequestError: Can't reconnect until invalid transaction is
rolled back

It goes without saying, but perhaps I've misunderstood something...

--diana