it occurs upon execution.

Ultimately the cursor.execute() method described here:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

within SQLAlchemy, the general idea is here:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/core/tutorial.html#using-text

so, you'd add your params as second arguments to text().

But you'll never see the date actually rendered in the SQL string unless you
look at your Postgresql server logs.