If you've seen my recent talks you saw that I'm a little skeptical of what
you're terming "non-monolithic" databases.    Let's say this means, a database
with a set of tables maintained by entirely different packages, but with the
possibility of dependencies between those tables.    If I understand correctly,
if we were dealing with sets of tables that didn't have any dependency, you
wouldn't need a distributed migration tool, each package would handle
migrations for its own set of tables independently, is that right ?

I think what I need to see here are, what exactly are these packages, outside
of the Django community, that actually create their own tables yet encourage
dependencies between those tables and your app's own tables ?   I know people
are working on them since I see people asking questions about those use cases,
but what are they ?  What's the openid and user/groups package you're thinking
of here ?

In the development world I've always lived in, we just don't have third party
libraries that bring in their own sub-schemas.  Up until now the thinking has
been, if it's significant enough that it is part of your datamodel, it's part
of what you should own yourself, though certainly drawing upon past recipes.
For me to understand the use case of stucco_evolution I think I first need to
see the light on the use case of these third party apps, which so far seem
vague to me.