The docstring for the cx-Oracle dialog says:

"SQLAlchemy will pass all unicode strings directly to cx_oracle, and additionally uses an output handler so that all string based result values are returned as unicode as well."

The latter does no longer seem to be true; the handler was recently removed with ticket 2911.

So now when I have varchar2 columns and do a simple query like this one, I get encoded strings instead of unicode as before (in Python 2):

engine = create_engine('oracle+cx_oracle://..')
con = engine.connect()
for row in con.execute("select username from users"):
    print row

Is this really intended? What am I supposed to do when I want to always get unicode back?

-- Christoph