Using postgresql, I have a JSON type column. My understanding from their
docs was that only jsonb columns could have an index created on them (a
feature of postgresql 9.4) but then I found an SO answer
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17807030/how-to-create-index-on-json-field-in-postgres-9-3>
 that
said otherwise. I haven't had the chance to test it since I'm away from my
dev environment, but the sqlalchemy docs seem to support this idea
<http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_9/dialects/postgresql.html?highlight=json#sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql.JSON>,

mentioning the availability of "Index operations."

Unless I'm missing something obvious (very possible), it seems like this
can be done through sql, but is there a way to create an index on a json
field through the sqlalchemy api? I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Thanks,
Phil