Both actually. I like the simplicity of just using the column_property as
is, but until the next release I will just use an explicit label and order
by that.

In case anyone else has this problem, my workaround was to add to the
column_property definition like so:

    markerstatus = db.column_property(
        db.select([MarkerStatus.status]).
        where(MarkerStatus._marker_status_key==_marker_status_key).
        label("markerstatus")
    )

And in the order by I use the label like a string:

    query.order_by("markerstatus")

Thanks!