Hi there,

I'm trying to do with Microsoft SQL Server what this snippet:
https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/13/core/custom_types.html#types-sql-value-processing
does for PostGIS.

Unfortunately in MSSQL "ST_GeomFromText" does not exist in the default
function namespace, but is a static method of the geography type and is
expected to be called as

geography::STGeomFromText

(see:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/spatial-geography/stgeomfromtext-geography-data-type?view=sql-server-ver15)

I tried several things in "bind_expression" but didn't manage to get
sqlalchemy to compile anything into "geography::STGeomFromText".
When using "func.geography.STGeomFromText" this is ends up in SQL with a
plain "." as a separation.
All attempts at injecting the double colons literally failed because the
prefix is then wrapped in quotes.

Am I missing something here or do I have to (e.g.) use a custom dialect for
that?

Thanks & cheers
Sebastian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/37eb37ce-92e8-4eb4-b880-75aa86dfdbb7%40googlegroups.com.