IDE is what we usually called productivity tool, text editor is not.
There is nothing to do with a developer's skill.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chappell, Simon P [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 3, 2003 4:38 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)

Actually, my primary point was text editor usage and programmer ability.

It is my personal observation that the better programmers use text
editors. (vi or emacs or jedit or vim ... I don't care ... that's not
the argument here). I'm not quite saying that IDEs are bad, although I'm
certainly tempted to say that some days, but programmers who CAN program
with text editors and command-line tools are orders of magnitude better
than those who can't. You are more than welcome to tell me that you
believe this is not so, but I have observed it enough that, to me, it is
a truism.

Simon