Oh :-) and ... my preivous post might also explain why you've had so many questions go unanswered. You see, people here expect you to do your homework. Then, most folks go for the "interesting" or "mission-critical" problems. You see, none of us are getting paid to solve your problems, and we have our own problems to solve too!

... not trying to come off as an ass, but you can call me anything you like ;-) (except late for dinner! I won't tolerate that!)

Eddie Bush wrote:

That depends on him having a certain JDK. Was that introduced in 1.3 or 1.4? I think it was introduced in 1.4. I know I cut some code for someone that didn't have as modern of a system as myself and I wound up going back and doing free work to fix it, so it hasn't been around forever :-(

... but, yes, that's how I'd go about it as well.

There is also, I believe, a string taglib in the jakarta taglibs project -- they've discussed how to implement this as well. I *believe* they have configured something in that taglib to perform this exact function.

Personally, I use <pre> ... </pre> - works like a champ. I suppose that's not always suitable though. In cases where it's not, the string taglib should fit the bill.

Aside: Laziness can occasionally be seen in ignorance. Sometimes people just don't know where to look and wind up coming off as lazy. You should always think to examine every possible alternative you have - at every level. You'd be surprised the problems you can solve when you become adventuresome enough to do so.

David Graham wrote:

i'd love to see one-liner that converts char to string.

return newlineString.replaceAll("\n", "<br/>");

David

-- Eddie Bush