Concerning the question of when the analemma, which I interpret to be
equivalent to the equation of time, was discovered and how: We think
of the equation of time as expressing the relationship between the
position of the sun and "real time", but there is also a direct
astronomical interpretation.  The sun and the stars move relative to
each other at an almost uniform rate.  The equation of time describes
the nonuniformities of this relative motion, irrespective of whether
the stars or the sun or neither moves uniformly in real time.  This
could have been discovered by any good astronomer in ancient times,
say in Babylonia.  A clock good enough to compare daytime observations
of the sun with nighttime observations of the stars would be a great
help, though not absolutely essential.  A clock good enough to compare
observations of the sun made months apart would not be necessary until
you want to know who's "right", the stars or the sun.  I suspect the
quality of clock needed to answer this question is similar to the
quality needed to find the longitude.

Art Carlson
--
To study, to finish, to publish. -- Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Arthur Carlson
Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics
Garching, Germany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~awc/home.html

As usual, if I am caught or killed, the Institute
will disavow any knowledge of my actions.