>Shouldn't this be accurate enough for the people so many centuries ago?
>Indeed the people could read the sundial if they needed the time more
>precize, but I think they didn't care about minutes or seconds as we do.
>
>Fer de Vries
>Netherlands.

Hi!

Thanks for replying. You're probably right about the vast majority of
people at the time, however I was thinking more about the early clocks and
time-keepers. I was under the impression that early clockwork which rapidly
became fast or slow were synchronized with a sundial (the standard measure
of time). And I've also heard that temporal hours being the norm, medieval
clocks were periodically (weekly?) adjusted through the foliot and verge
mechanism to beat faster or slower to give twelve hours to the available
daylight. Since this was a hassle, canonical hours became popular and the
amount of hours in the day began to vary.

Now, if the sundial was used to determine the length of the hour, how were
they marked? If the sundial was used as the midday marker only (a noon
dial) as you suggest, then perhaps they used some form of computed tables?

Curious,

AV

scribere qui nescit nullam putat esse laborem

whoso knows not how to write thinks it to be no trouble

A r t h u r  V a l a i s

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

phone 02 9360 1729
PO BOX 729