Put another way;

When they say on the equinox the sun is directly above the
equator maybe that is true for only one particular
longitude on the equator.

The equinox is not a day, it is a precise moment.

So if I was on the equator on the day of the equinox and
marked the sunrise and marked the sunset and drew a line
between them it would not be east to west but slightly
skewed.

As I watch the sun it moves slightly north or south
throughout the day depending on the season.

Doesn't this mean that our sundials should be adjusted
accordingly? Wouldn't they work more accurate if we had
them aligned not east to west but slightly skewed?
Of course we would have to realign them each season.