Felix Miata wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher composed on 2017-05-22 02:19 (UTC-0400):

Then don't accept the autocompletion by stopping typing. Keep
typing the desired name or address and ignore SM's suggestions;
eventually you'll get to the point where your typing doesn't match
the undesired address and SM will accept what you're typing. For
example, if you start typing "df" it will match
<dfsee-supp...@yahoogroups.com>, but if you continue with "dfa" it
won't match anymore and you can get on with your life.

You still don't understand what is happening. I want a particular
email address, period. No angle brackets, no quotes, nothing but ...

I understand perfectly what's happening. What I don't understand is why you care if there are or aren't angle brackets, quotation marks, or whatever the programs need to function. Maybe it offends your sense of artistic elegance, OK fine, whatever floats your boat. If it bothers you that much, disable autocomplete as you described at the top of the thread.

I edit the junk away, and autocomplete puts it right back.

Or if you don't want to disable autocomplete, use the strategy I offered yesterday:

If you really must do that, keep the angle brackets and SM will
accept that, provided you leave the address field by clicking
elsewhere and not by tabbing or hitting Enter:

<someinsanelylongn...@toolong.net>

That's all I got. Anyone else?

Oh -- I just remembered -- back in the days when DirecTV forced me to use AOHell as my provider, it wasn't even possible to use a name in the address field; all you could send was the naked email address. I still see that nowadays from AOHell users. Maybe that's what you want.

Paul B. Gallagher