On 10/02/2013 06:21 PM, Augustine Leudar wrote:
so I guess your media player would have to tell the .amb file how many
speakers you were using and it would decode the 'amb file for the correct
order ?

this is getting really confused. the purpose of an ambisonic file format and extension is twofold:

1. and most importantly, to warn hapless users that it makes no sense to take the four pcm streams it contains and pipe it to four speakers. that is, to distinguish it clearly from files that contain actual loudspeaker feeds, thereby avoiding the "i listened to it on my quad system and it sounds crap" effect.

2. to allow the exchange of ambisonic audio in a meaningful way, preserving channel order, relative phase, and relative level, and make it obvious that the contained data is an ambisonic signal set.

never ever will an ambisonic _file_format_ decode anything - it's a file format, what do you expect?

moreover, your use of the term "order" is wrong. you do not decode _for_ an order, but you take an ambisonic signal set of a given order and decode it to the appropriate speaker layout. the decoder may disregard higher orders if the number of speakers does not allow for the necessary angular resolution.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net