if you feed the figure of eights to a mixer you can actually generate a better
Omni. Or, if the circuit is made of four cardioids each to one pin, the circuit
is still a pair of figure of eights, but all four pins summed is a good Omni. I
built my Velan, a six cardioid native B format mic, where all six capsules
contribute to the Omni.

umashankar