The hum can be heard as a horizontal noise somewhere in the distance.

Now this is rather interesting. "The hum?" Tell me more, what is this "hum" all about?

I didn't mean "The Hum". I meant the noise that comes from the engines, motors and tyres of the vechicles and from the ventilation and air conditioning fans of
the buildings. Let's not go to the Hum. please.

Sounds pretty much like what our tyres here in Finland do, in noise.

Sampo, I am in Finland, not far from you.

But if you try to measure the sound source which is a tyre pressing on snow,
Well, the distant traffic noise comes from the tyres pressing against asphalt,
partly or totally covered with ice. On snow, that noise is pretty quiet.

Eero