It looks like the 2 year payback was talking about energy payback, not
economic payback, which is what I and a few other list members were
talking about before.  Current PV technology also has about a 2 year
(actually 0.75 to 4 depending on technology and framing options)
energy payback.  Actual lifespan of the crystallline PV promises to be
much longer than 25 years that most warrantees are.  I have a 10 year
warranteed module purchased in 1985, and it was still generating over
90% of rated power when it was 20 years old last winter.  The
theoretical studies I've heard of project near 100 year lifespan for
them, based on observed degradation of silicon semiconductor junctions
in 24/7 communications equipment in which the junction starts breaking
down after 20 to 25 years.  Since PV only works a quarter of the time,
somewhere between 70 and 100 years seems to be when the junctions will
start breaking down.

And I think you've also pointed out another problem with using payback
as the metric -- traditional economic accounting doesn't take into
account lifespan after payback very well.  If two items pay back in 2
years, they seem to be the same, even if only lasts 2 years, and one
lasts another 18 years.