>> I'm interested in this issue, and as Kent-Andre Mardal sits approx. 150cm
>> from my office, we are quite synchronized. Actually, since the sympy license
>> is less restrictive than that of GiNaC, I'm considering using sympy as
>> backend
>> to some of my software instead of swiginac.
>>
>> Defaulting to a cross platform backend sounds resonable, although it
>> currently
>> comes at the price of performance.
>
> There is also a sympycore project, done be Pearu and Fredrik, which
> tries new approaches to speed SymPy up, still in pure Python.
> Is Pearu also sitting 150cm from your office? :)

Well, I sit probably less than 100km from yours :)

>> Ideally, the only syntax difference in sympy and swiginac should be the
>> import
>> statement. Today, this is not 100% the case. Perhaps we should have a
>> discussion regarding this issue? It would be possible to add a wrapper layer
>
> Yes.
>
>> in Python layer a-la Symbolic, but I don't think it makes enough sense to
>> justify the cost of maintenance. There will always be differences in the set
>> of provided features, but it would be nice if the intersection in
>> functionality shared a common syntax (and semantics).
>
> Agree, the common syntax should be the same. There is another project,
> SAGE, and I also would like to have the same syntax with them, if
> possible.

I like the 'ideally' case, but for the moment having a single layer of
wrapper code using the sympy syntax should be ok.

> So let's create the SymFE, calling both swiginac and sympy as a
> backend, and then we will see exactly which syntax things needs to be
> fixed.

ok, I will create SymFE project. Does anybody have a nice summary?

>>> Yes, let's do that. However, there should be a leader, who will push
>>> things forward and make sure it is coordinated. Is anyone willing to
>>> do it?
>> I have started nagging about making the project, but so far I am not
>> very familiar neither with sympy nor with swiginac... However I can
>> setup a project at googlecode, if you want.
>
> Setting up a project on googlecode is the least thing. :) I meant,
> that the leader needs to be motivated for the project to succeed and
> push it forward.
> But let's just create the project for now and try it. If you do it,
> add me as a member please.

Having a name and a place to work at is half of the success... Anyone
else wants to be added as member?

> As I said, I myself use libmesh for now. Byt the syfi approach is new,
> and if you say it speeds things up, well, I am for it. :)

When I first saw syfi, I was really excited about its approach (and yes,
I still am).

r.