---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:22:01 -0700
From: Devin Kowatch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Rainer Gerhards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fragmentation in -international

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:45:06PM +0200, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
[ snip ]

> > In which environments is this challenging?  To utilize a
> > timestamp, devices will require a TOY (Time of Year chipset).
> >  To utilize a reboot counter, a device just needs some memory
> > that will persist over a reboot.
>
> Maybe Anton can help me out with some of the devices. But at least for
> Windows, it is not uncommon that the OS is freshly installed. This will
> also remove any previously stored reboot session id. If the machine
> retains the same ip, there will be an issue...
[ snip ]

Actually, this makes me think that IPs will get reused regardless, which
means that no matter what OS is being run, it's likely that the same
problem will arise.

Unless the reboot counter is coupled with a globally unique machine
identifier, the reboot counter will likely get reset, because there
will be a new machine at that IP/hostname.

--
Devin Kowatch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]