Hi all,

Chris has uploaded a draft version of my presentation on
syslog-protocol.

  http://www.employees.org/~lonvick/attachments/syslog-protocol.sxi
  http://www.employees.org/~lonvick/attachments/syslog-protocol.pdf

I first thought it needed more polishing before posting, but after some
more thinking I came to the conclusion that this polishing can only be
done after some issues have been discussed. So there it is.

The goal of the presentation is to show

- the rationale behind creating syslog-protocol,
- how it fits into the syslog family,
- which open questions are there as of now

The target audience of this presentation is not strictly the WG, only. I
think once things are fully discussed, this (or additional) presentation
can also be used to educate implementors on what we actually want to
achive. From what I have seen in the past, finding acceptance for a
supposed standard is at least as important as doing it (technically)
right. What does it help if nobody implements it...?

So I think it is a good idea to develop such material in parallel to the
actual RFC. The plus is that at least I find such a presentation an easy
entry point into what the RFC tries to say.

I will post separate mails to some of the issues raised in the
presentation. You do NOT necessarily need to read the presentation in
order to understand my upcoming questions. I just think it will help
general understanding.

Cheers,
Rainer