Hi,

There is a real demand in the industry for leveraging existing standards
rather than creating new languages or special syntaxes. The demand is to
reduce the number of special languages an operator needs to learn, and
to make it possible to integrate the data from one application type with
others.

If you're going to use XML at all, then I recommend using real XML so
the data specified can be read by other applications that already use
XML, and integrated with their other data. I'm not sure how many
applications will want to integrate with syslog cookies, but if there is
useful information in the cookie, then another application might be able
to use that info in combination with other info to create additional
features.

The use of a special syntax that looks like but is not XML, fails to
achieve either of the demands.

I also suggest you learn from the mistakes of others. SNMP uses a
special "adapted subset" of ASN.1 and that has caused lots of problems
over the years.

dbh
David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]