Let me make a comment here that applies to issue #2 (BSD Centric)

In our products, we have many more options. I know for sure that Kiwi
syslogd also has many more options. I think many other vendors do have
other options, too. Upcoming versions of our *nix based syslogd will
definitely have more options. -sign may eventually require new actions
(verify signature? log diagnostic warning?) [this is speculated, just
for the records;)].

What I am trying to convey is that this is a very limited set and
different syslogd's may have totally different implementations. We can
stick with the minimal set of generic things. I am not deep enough in
SNMP to know if we (vendor) can define a mib to take care of the others
(I am sure we can ;)). But the question is how this would relate to the
"standard actions".

As a side note, the filterig/rule processing system is also totally
different in different implementations, this complicates things pretty
much. So it is probably best to stick with the minimal possibilities
from stock syslogd.

Rainer