Cool.

If we work on using a text file type config system, we will still need
to work out an identifying format.

Maybe something like...

Syslog Config File
Vendor: Company Syslog
Version: x.x

# This configures the rule set
Rules...

# This configures the inputs
Inputs/Listeners

Etc

Any line beginning with a # is a comment.

The first line "Syslog Config File" is the magic cookie. This ensures we
have a valid config file type.
The vendor line identifies the syslog daemon vendor.
The version line identifies the version of the syslog daemon that the
rule set / config refers to.

Apart from that, it could all be free form text.

Comments?

Cheers

Andrew