Hi,

Comments inline.

*snip*

> > 2.  I think requiring UDP implementation reduces the areas in which
> > syslog message format RFC could be utilized.  I can see
> many different
> > areas.  For example, if RFC came without UDP baggage, we,
> > within Cisco,
> > could potentially standardize on this format for products
> which write
> > directly to log file (no syslog servers) should be
> compatible with the
> > format.  This would be a great thing for us to be able to have a
> > consistent format regardless of whether or not syslog
> > transport is used
> > because it is inevitable that some products will use syslog
> and other
> > will write straight to file.

Any vendor can choose to develop supplementary uses for the syslog
message format without being forced to implement UDP. If they choose not
to implement the UDP transport, then the only thing this affects is

1) whether the vendor can honestly claim in their marketing that their
implementaion is fully compliant to the syslog standard,

2) and whether they can honestly market their proprietary logging
products as being fully compliant to the syslog standard.

Syslog is not being written with an interface to on-the-box storage or
with interfaces to other logging mechanisms. It is not being developed
to best meet the needs of marketing. It is being written as an IETF (the
I stands for Internet) protocol to standardize the on-the-wire format
for interoperability over IP between implementations from multiple
implementors.

There is no reason to not specify UDP (or whichever IP protocol) as a
standard transport just to accommodate a vendor's "potential" usage that
is totally out of scope for this WG, and is out of scope for the IETF in
general.

My $.02
dbh