I'm guessing that the relay operation that you would like to leave out
relates to additional segmenting, and adding missing information, as
well as path type information?

Leaving all of that out seems reasonable.  I think that basic relay
operation should be present in -protocol though.  By this I'm talking
about any constraints on how relays operate, such as the relay MUST (or
SHOULD) NOT alter the packet if it is to have any hope of passing -sign
messages around.  Or someother fundamental point of relay operation (if
there is one).

I suspect that the bulk of the relaing features you are looking for
would only be useful in limited situations anyway.  And that basic relay
operation will often suffice.  But I may be wrong about thit.

--
Devin Kowatch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]