At 9:12 AM -0500 17.12.2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In a message dated 12/16/01 8:35:24 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>>Bruce Dern went to college at Penn and may have competed on the track team
>>but it was before my time.
>
>He did in fact compete and was a good half miler, but quit the team his jr.
>year in a dispute w/ the coach (Ken Doherty? - I think the time frame is
>pre-Tupp, but it's before my time as well) over having to trim his sideburns.

-------

The story is accurate.  The coach was Ken Doherty, who had a fairly good
string of middle distance runners at the time.  But as is always the case
with any coach having a relay team, Doherty needed one more guy for a shot
at doing well in the 4-Mile relay at Penn.  Dern was the most likely
suspect, and Doherty had convinced him to go out at about 2:10-2:12 and
come back with whatever was left, hoping for a 4:20-4:25.

Dern, who was a 1:54-type half-miler then, went out in 2:00 and died big
time, running mid-4:30s or so, and taking Penn out of the race.  Doherty
wasn't happy.

Dave Johnson