In a message dated Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:19:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, Geoff Thurner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i'm adding a line to the record section (world/american/collegiate/hayward
> field/school) of the oregon track and field media guide and was wondering
> if there was an official men's outdoor collegiate 3,000 record>>

To wax Clintonian, first you have to define "official." A few years back, the NCAA
quit recognizing Collegiate Records (they just do Meet Records), so I would suppose
that any set of collegiate-records is therefore unofficial.

By T&FN standards, you can only set CRs through the NCAA, at which point we say the
collegiate season is over. (You wouldn't say that Michael Jordan set an NCAA
single-game scoring record of 125 points if he did it in July during a North Carolina
tour of Europe.)

If you go to the T&FN website you'll find Chapa 7:37.70 as the "CR" with an appended
section for "marks made outside the collegiate season" which indicates the existence
of the Rono 7:32.1.

FAST (U.S. stat group) still uses the now-discarded T&FN system of including marks
through end of August.

gh