1. Garth threw the javelin.
2. They used the ankle bracelets for relay runners at the Baltimore Marathon
this year. Kinda cool, esp. b/c there were 250 teams. We all got accurate
splits, or at least semi-accurate, though stopping to undo the chip was a
pain in the butt.
3. I went back up to Baltimore to watch the U.S. Cyclocross championships
this weekend, and everybody involved with CC should check this sport out.
Imagine cross country on bikes, on a spectator-friendly loop course, with
barriers and a full production team keeping everybody up-to-date on who's
winning and what's going on. And they had a lot of fans, which is astounding
for a sport that nobody not on two wheels has heard of.
  Cyclocross is kind of low-intensity mountain biking on specially-designed
road bikes. At times racers have to get off the bike and jump over little
(maybe 18-24") barriers, or run up a flight of steps. The men did 8 (I
think) loops around a hilly, winding, muddy 3k course, and the women did 6
loops. People are falling off their bikes, getting lapped, covered with
mud--it's absolutely wild.
  And enough companies are involved (Saturn, several health-insurance
outfits, manufacturers) to get TV time on the Outdoor Life Network, which
yielded constant music, announcers, and a decent-sized crowd. Imagine a
Nascar production where everybody smokes a lot of pot sted of chewing a lot
of tobacco, and you get an idea of what the scene was like.
  Road races/cross country/running in general could stand to steal a few
ideas from this bunch.
--Welch