In a message dated 12/17/01 3:16:28 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>It was Rockland California in 1970 while my roomate Bob Deines was winning
>the National 50 miler that I, after dropping out at 30 miles leaned against
>a car with Bruce Dern who had also dropped out, and grumbled.

I think that race was also mentioned in the article. Dern says his wife
pulled up alongside in a car and told him to drop out. He replied that
although he was slowing badly, he was still making progress, to which she
replied that he had been running in place for the past 10 minutes.

Jim Gerweck
Running Times