It sounds like you want to parameterize your XSLT.

e.g. using the xtags library

<xtags:style xml="helpDoc.xml" xsl="myStyleSheet.xsl">
    <xtags:param name="registration"><%= request.getParameter( "reg" )
%></xtags:param>
</xtags:style>

would do the trick, passing in the value of the "reg" parameter into the
stylesheet as a parameter called "registration".

Then in your XSLT you'll need to declare the (global) parameter then refer
to it in XPath expressions as "$registration"...

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

    <xsl:param name="registration" />

    <xsl:tempate match="topics[topic = $registration]">
        <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
    </xsl:template>

If all you need to do is extract a part of an XML document and output either
a fragment or bits of it, then you could just use the XTags library
directly.

e.g.

<xtags:parse uri="helpDoc.xml"/>
<xtags:copyOf select="topics[topic=$reg]"/>

This would parse the XML document then evaluate the given XPath expression
to find the section you need and then copy the resulting node set to the JSP
output. Notice that in XTags you can use XPath variable notation ($reg)
inside XPath expressions to refer to 'variables'. The variable resolver
first looks in page, request, session and application scope attributes
first, if its not found it tries request parameters or init parameters.

So in XTags you can use XPath expressions to find and compare parts of XML
documents to Servlet attributes and parameters.

I hope this helps.

James