Hi Eric,

It actually looks like what you've done is correct.  Make sure that you've
recomppiled the org.apache.taglibs.standard.examples.startup.Init class
and that the container is noticing your changes.  For instance, add some
logging to that class and see if your message is printed to the log.

(I note that the final line you added, while sufficient to expose a scoped
attribute to your JSP page and thus to JSP, doesn't end with a ";", which
might indicate you didn't recompile the class.)

Hope that helps,

--
Shawn Bayern
Author of "JSP Standard Tag Libary" (Manning, upcoming)  http://jstlbook.com