Brian,

There's a new release and public draft that should answer your
questions.  I'd recommend downloading the Public Draft at

  http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr052

and Beta 1 of the RI at

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/standard

In short, to answer your questions:

> a) show me the syntax for transforming a String (and DOM)
> representation of an XML document stored in a variable

<x:transform xmlText="${xml}" xsltText="${xsl}"/>

for String -or- DOM.

> b) let me know what the most accurate place to look for these answers
> is

The Public Draft (URL above) is currently authoritative.  It should
describe precisely how the RI works.  If there turn out to be any
discrepancies, this is an issue for the RI to address (and I will endeavor
to address them in upcoming nightly builds).  As of yet, I know of no bugs
in the RI's version of <x:transform>; I think the discrepancies you
noticed were just between EA3 and Beta 1.

Hope that helps,

--
Shawn Bayern
Author, "JSP Standard Tag Library"  http://www.jstlbook.com