The problem is not about your own thread doing several related updates,
but some other thread doing an INSERT just after you do,
and before you get a chance to SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()

If there is any chance of it (anything except a single user can do it)
you must ensure thread safety with either single-thread attribute,
or synchronize (this) on the block.