If tomcat is crashing because of "out of memory" it is a known problem
with tomcat 4.0.1-4.0.3 as well as 3.3.x.  The problem you are seeing is
related to how jasper compiles the page.  Jasper makes one huge service
method, which causes several memory related problems. There is a new
jasper called Jasper2 in 4.1.7 beta.  Copy ant.jar, jasper-runtime.jar
and jasper-compiler.jar into your tomcat/lib directory. See if that
fixes your problems. If that isn't your problem, it may be your custom
tag has a memory leak somewhere which only appears in certain
conditions.

if that's the case, use OptimizeIt to profile your web app.

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.1.7-beta/RELEASE-NOTES

peter