So it's better to use the Standard taglib to process a XML file
against a XSL file... instead of using the xtags library!?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Bayern [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: quarta-feira, 10 de Julho de 2002 17:10
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: RE: Xtags problem...

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Carlos Barroso wrote:

> thanx. I'm new in taglibs. I'm a little confused with this. The
> "Standard Taglib release 1.0" has a tag library for XML processing,
> with URI: http://java.sun.com/jstl/xml and with a prefix: "x". There's
> also the "xtags" library... do they work the same way? Are they
> independent? The documentation isn't clear on this. Can you help me
> please.

XTags was a custom offering of Jakarta Taglibs long before JSTL came
out.  It influenced JSTL's direction as far as XML processing was
concerned, but the XML library of JSTL is not identical with XTags.  There
is no formal relationship between XTags and JSTL.

JSTL is standard, so it bears some advantages against a custom offering,
as long as it meets your needs.  There will be books, optimized
implementations, and wide adoption of JSTL's tags.

"Standard Taglib, Release 1.0" is a fully compliant implementation of
JSTL, distributed through Jakarta Taglibs.  Other vendors (including Sun)
have their own implementations available, or will shortly.  For instance,
I believe the Resin folks are working on a JSTL implementation.

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)