Just in case somebody else needs to know the
resolution to my question I figure out my issue.

I had in my doEndTag() part of my custom tag was a
return of SKIP_BODY and not EVAL_PAGE. While I got the
XML correctly it the SKIP_BODY make it not return the
data to the JSTL tags.

Thanks for all the help, my prototype of my first JSTL
site is pretty much done.

tim