That's very odd Eric.

The str:substring tag is pretty much just a wrapper for String.substring
itself [a little bit of null protecting is all that is added]. Could you
try and replicate your problem using the underlying String library?

The underlying substring wrapper function I'm using does a negative check
on the end and the start, then if the end value passed in is greater than
the length it makes it equal to the length, then it calls
String.substring.

Do you do any byte->String conversion anywhere?

Hen